The Pacific Business Group on Health (PBGH) is a fast-moving, non-profit organization focused on improving health outcomes, experience and affordability for consumers and purchasers across the United States. Since 1989, PBGH has distinguished itself as a national coalition driven by some of the most influential purchasers of health care in the country, including Boeing, Intel, and Disney. PBGH’s 65 members collectively spend $40 billion a year providing health care coverage to more than 10 million employees, retirees, and dependents. Our strategic priorities include paying for value, redesigning care, influencing policy, and accelerating transparency.
We are seeking a Staff Accountant to join our team of energetic, innovative professionals who are committed to excellence and impact. We care about the work we do and the difference that we make. This is your chance to make a difference too.
The Staff Accountant plays a critical role in supporting the strategic and operational objectives of PBGH through responsibility for accounts payable, general accounting duties, analyzing account balances, preparing financial reports, and assisting with the annual audit. The Staff Accountant is also responsible (in partnership with the Director of Finance and Senior Accounting Manager) for optimizing the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounts payable function and in identifying/implementing other process improvements and automation opportunities for PBGH finance.
The Staff Accountant will serve as a critical member of the Finance Team with expected leadership in identifying and implementing opportunities for finance team efficiency and effectiveness as well as opportunities for improved PBGH financial performance.
Accounts Payable (PBGH, PBGH NA, CHPI, SVEF): 30%
- Lead Accounts Payable function, including (in partnership with Senior Accounting Manager and Director of Finance) identification, development and implementation of new processes and supporting software for automating and increasing the efficiency of Accounts Payable processes.
- Review employee expense reports, invoices, cash receipts and/or billing for accuracy and appropriateness of payment or billing in accordance with PBGH policies and guidelines.
- Full cycle Accounts Payable including: obtain approval to pay invoices and process invoices; ensure contracts and supporting documentation (W-9s) are in place prior to payment; ensure accuracy of GL and funder codes prior to payment; ensure contracts support payment (e.g., sufficient funds); partner with cross-functional departments to process and support vendor payments, ensuring transactions are accurately recorded.
- Prepare rent checks to ensure rent is paid on time.
- Process check runs and distribute all A/P checks.
- Produce Accounts Payable invoices due report.
- Maintain A/P and other liabilities system records. Takes necessary steps to ensure accuracy of information and that all records remain current.
- Maintain files for all cancelled A/P checks.
- Support Senior Accounting Manager with cash management function.
- Work with employees on expense reports to obtain clarification, additional information and/or appropriate documentation as needed. Notifies the Director of Finance of issues or concerns in a timely manner.
- Prepare bank deposit slips, run tapes on checks and cash, and copy deposit slips and checks. Provide the original and copy to bank depositor for deposit processing.
- Verify and maintain W-9 information for all vendors. Prepare the year-end 1099 by understanding the filing requirements when processing payments and maintaining W-9s throughout the year.
- Reconcile petty cash monthly.
- Maintain PBGH expense form to align with existing and new funder codes and with other required updates (e.g., IRS mileage guidelines).
- Prepare and distribute an annual PBGH staff calendar with weekly accounts payable due dates. Regularly communicate due dates and follow-up with staff as needed.
- Maintain log for all contracts; encumber contractual obligations and monitor contractual balances to not exceed contractual amounts.
- Process credit card payable transactions.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of accounts payable records for audit purposes. Support audit process by providing timely and accurate documentation to auditors.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
General Accounting (PBGH, PBGH NA, CHPI, SVEF): 40%
- Prepare journal entries for payroll, investments, prepaid items, fixed assets, revenue recognition, intercompany clearing accounts, and other adjusting entries.
- Analyze intercompany transactions monthly and report to supervisor of any findings.
- Prepare vacation/sick leave accruals worksheet and prepare journal entries.
- Maintain amortization schedules for prepaid expenses, fixed assets and other items.
- Maintain worksheet schedule of unrestricted revenues and prepare journal entries to release unrestricted revenues.
- Perform analysis of balance sheet accounts and prepare adjusting entries as needed.
- Calculate the monthly shared direct and indirect allocation bases and update the cost pool tables.
- Review monthly expenses for accuracy and completeness; accrue expenses as required.
- Review cost pool expenses for accuracy and process monthly allocation.
- Perform other monthly closing activities as assigned.
- Enter and distribute board approved budget for all companies in accounting system.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations for all companies
Budgeting, Financial Reporting and Audit: 30%
- Prepare internal financial reports and assist with the compilation of company-wide financial statements.
- Compile financial data to assist with the preparation of company-wide annual budget.
- Assist with providing supporting schedules, accounting data and records for annual audit.
- Participate in monthly and quarterly close processes, including analysis of variances.
- In partnership with the Director of Finance and Senior Accounting Manager, identify, develop and implement process improvements to automate and streamline accounting processes (including, but not limited to, expanded use of PBGH’s accounting software)
• Serve as back-up for accounts receivable, payroll processing, 401k processing, bank deposit, external financial reporting.
- 2-3 years of experience in administration of accounts payable, general accounting, cost allocation, and financial analysis, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Demonstrated skills in financial analysis and accounting activities, including exceptional excel skills.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated sound technical skills, numerical accuracy and speed, analytic ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
- Expertise in accounting software required, preferably with SAGE/MIP/ABILA.
- Demonstrated experience in the hands-on work of financial accounting, including: journal entries, intercompany transactions, amortization schedules, analysis of balance sheet accounts, and monthly closing activities.
- Ability to thrive in an evolving and deadline-oriented environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required, advanced degree preferred.
It is not intended that the above listed duties reflect every job duty, responsibility or task that the employee may be called upon to perform. The employee is expected to perform all job related duties and tasks assigned by his/her supervising manager or other authorized manager.
Base salary will be determined by the candidate’s experience and qualifications. PBGH offers a competitive salary, including year-end bonus potential, a contributory retirement plan, comprehensive benefits, and opportunities for professional growth.